Wednesday, October 03, 2007

The End of the Line at The Wreck


For those interested, check out Kat's blog for pictures from the last weekend at the Wreck Room. Also, read Ken's take on the weekend. It's worth the (long) read, but he sums it up thusly:

"What I really wanted to say that night was this: All my life, since I was maybe 12 or 13, I've dreamed about being part of a community based around music. I found it at the Wreck Room. Of course there'll be other spots where like-minded folks get together and make something new, but this one is gone. I woke up the next day thinking, 'Oh, shit! I think I walked my tab last night! I'd better get down there today and pay it.' And then I realized that for the Wreck Room, there is no more 'today.' What's left are the memories of all the music, all the laughs, all the friendship, all the bad behavior. Those are indelible and will last as long as memory lasts."

Good job, Ken and Kat. Adios, Wreck. Thanks for everything.

UPDATE, 10.4.07: Here's Anthony Mariani's take.
UPDATE, 10.5.07: More from Ken: "Apparently it took the folks in the city bureaucracy responsible for "graffiti abatement" one day to color-match the walls and paint over the graffiti that my sweetie photographed at the Wreck on its final day. An object lesson in how quickly the wheels can turn in this town when the folks with the lucre are calling the tune and the changes. Anybody remember the 7th Street Theatre?"

No comments: