Monday, November 05, 2007

One Last Word About Bernie Scheffler

I have a confession to make: I am really sick of this election process.

Tales of dirty campaigning have just gotten worse as we get closer to Election Day tomorrow. And it's easy to understand why this election went south on us: this race is anybody's ballgame and the candidates all know that. That has created a lot of apprehension among the faithful supporters of each candidate across the field in the District 9 City Council Race.

As much as I wish that this race could be about the issues and the candidates themselves, a lot of this race has been about money. I know that money is the lifeblood of politics, but these numbers are staggering. And so are these. And the amount of money spent sickens me as much as the name calling.

You've probably already made up your mind about a candidate. You may have already voted early, like I did. But if you haven't, hang with me for a few more paragraphs. I want to get in one last word about Bernie Scheffler.

You can get all of his platform stuff on his Web site. Or read the man tell you in his own words why you should vote for him. If you have a question, call him at his shop at (817) 348-0660. He'll talk to you. And if you're wondering about money, he spent around $1,600 last time he ran against Wendy Davis and he'll be lucky to double that figure this time around.

But one thing that's hard to get from a Web site or a phone call is the content of a man's character. And that's what I want to share today.

I have helped Bernie with his campaign for months. We've developed another blog together with our friends. We've worked on community issues together. I've gotten to know the man. He's my friend and I'm here to tell you that what you see is what you get. He's got a heart as big as the one on the front of the "I love FW" t-shirt he often wears.

And that's why I believe that Fort Worth needs him. He's one of us -- a regular guy who is trying to make this great city better for everyone.

That's it. I won't bore you any further. Go vote what's in your hearts tomorrow, Fort Worth. Best of luck to you!

2 comments:

AndyN said...

Steve-o, this election went south because you have two candidates each of which is either married to a campaign consultant or is a campaign consultant. A third candidate is a 7 year seasoned politician. This is what politics has been refined to through years of focus-groups and market analysis. They know how and where to push their candidates to maximize the vote count from the general mass of voters that only thinks about who to vote for while driving to the polling station.

AndyN said...

To add a closing thought to my previous post:

That's why it is refreshing to have a candidate like Bernie who doesn't flood your mailbox and answering machine with political marketing poop.