Friday, November 02, 2007

El Dia de los Muertos

South of the border they call it El Dia de los Muertos, in the Disciples Church, it's All Saints' Day. Whatever you want to call it, it is a day to remember and celebrate those who have passed. A few people I will be remembering today:

  • John Reuler: A good friend with whom I enjoyed many a LuAnn plate at Luby's. A West Point graduate, classmate of two Heisman Trophy winners, a member of the honor guard at FDR's funeral, a great guy.

  • Karl King: As a teen-age Marine, he fought on Bataan and Corregidor, then survived over three years in Japanese POW camps. He later worked as broadcast journalist in Fort Worth and covered the JFK assassination. After he retired, he went back to school and received a bachelor's degree from TCU in 1980. When I knew him at the end of his life -- in spite of everything he had experienced -- he held no bitterness.

  • Kurth Sprague: He was one my favorite professors at the University of Texas. If ever learned anything about writing, he should get a chunk of the credit.

  • Aunt Edie: She showed me kindness and love and that a person could live their life their own way.

  • My Dad: For everything.


  • I miss you all.

    No comments: