Sunday, August 19, 2007

Odds and Ends from The Sunday Paper

A pretty readable Sunday in the S-T. Some of the highlights:

  • The Man At The Door: Chris Vaughn had an enlightening story on Mark Kelsey of Pantego, a man you never want to see at your door if you have a loved one in the service. He's the man who comes to tell you that your loved one is dead, a task he has performed 55 times since he went back on active duty in 2006. How does he do it? Why does he do it? "Even though I am bringing them horrible news, I'm there to help them," he told Chris. "I get a sense of accomplishment from that. I'm also honored to be there. The soldier would want a caring professional to bring their family the news. So while I'm helping the family, I feel that I'm also honoring the soldier." It's unfortunate that America needs Kelsey to do this job, but I'm glad as an American that we have someone who is able to handle this task with such compassion and professionalism.

  • Salim Nourallah: Cary Darling's profile of Salim (pictured at right) was quite revealing and well-timed. "Shades of Jeff Buckley, Wilco, Ray Davies and Crowded House color the melancholic splendor of Nourallah's work, which has been honored with numerous Dallas Observer music awards -- best producer at last week's 2007 ceremony and best album, song and producer at last year's." I'm already a big fan of Salim's blog -- now I need to pick up his latest album, Snowing in My Heart. (iTunes link)

  • Mahler Overview: Matthew Erickson provided a good overview of Gustav Mahler's life and work leading up to the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra's Mahler Festival, starting this Thursday. Me and the girls are going to check out the Ninth on Saturday, so this help me get geeked up.

  • The Foreclosure Crisis: Mitch Schnurman does what he does best -- taking a big national story and making it relevant for the local reader. "Foreclosures aren't the cause of the trouble; they're a symptom of scores of bad home loans and years of overbuilding. In this area, rising foreclosures were sending a signal to the market three or four years ago, but they were ignored -- with few consequences. ... Texas foreclosures should have been the canary in the coal mine: Put too many people in homes they can't afford, and loans go bad and streets fill up with empty houses. ... In the latest postings, the average loan originated in 2003, according to George Roddy of the Foreclosure Listing Service in Addison. And an even greater number of risky loans were made in '04, '05 and '06. 'Do the math, and that means we have two to three more years of this left,' Roddy says." Yipes.
  • 1 comment:

    LPJ said...

    Regarding Salim Nourallah:

    I'm really looking forward to checking out his album, and appreciate the links to his blog and the iTunes store. I can't resist to plug an alternate service, though. If you go to eMusic (www.emusic.com), you can find three of his albums (including Snowing in my Heart), and the tracks cost me a quarter each, significantly less than on iTunes.

    Bonus: All tracks on eMusic are DRM-free.