Thursday, October 11, 2007

Burnham Requests Public Meeting

District 90 State Rep. Lon Burnham sent the following letter yesterday to Richard Varela, Executive Director of the Railroad Commission of Texas, to request a public meeting over the drilling permit for the Trinity Trees site. Lon wrote:

"It is my understanding that the City of Fort Worth has granted a permit to Chesapeake Energy Corporation to drill for natural gas in an area in my district known as “the Trinity Trees” (just west of University Drive). It is also my understanding that Chesapeake has filed for a permit with the Railroad Commission to drill at this location. I strongly object to the Commission granting a permit that would allow drilling at this site.

"A large number of residents of Fort Worth, and many of my constituents, have expressed their opposition to this particular permit application. The proposed drill site is very close to a public park, including a trail heavily used for recreational activities. Drilling in this location presents threats to the safety of park users, as well as the environment.

"I am writing to request a public meeting in Fort Worth on this permit application so that residents have a chance to express their opposition and concerns. I would also like to meet with you as soon as possible. I will be in Austin on Friday of this week. Please call my Austin office to set up a time that is convenient for you."

No comments: