Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Once



The Oscar nominations are out this morning and even though I don't get out to the movies quite like I used to, my first thought was ... wow, what an odd, highbrow year. Just when you think that American civilization has completely bottomed out, Cormac McCarthy and Upton Sinclair are in the running for Best Picture.

But the biggest, most pleasant surprise of the morning was from the most unexpected, moving film I have seen in quite some time. Among the nominations for Best Original Song -- "Falling Slowly" from the film "Once," by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova. You can see the video above.

It's a beautiful song and beautiful film. I can't say enough about it. In a film landscape when everything seems to be an onslaught of robotic violence, serial killers and trite fantasies for the Bratz generation, along comes this quiet little realistic Irish film that is sweet and touching. It's just a simple story of two people sort of falling for each other and making music. And we find -- not surprisingly -- that people's lives are complicated things.

But unlike many music films, the story doesn't take a backseat to the music or vice versa. Hansard and Irglova are two very capable musicians who can also act. The music doesn't feel like a departure from the narrative thread -- it moves it forward.

Do yourself a favor and see this movie. And tell a friend. You'll be glad you did.

UPDATE: The Onion AV Club interview with Glen Hansard.

3 comments:

LPJ said...

I caved in and bought the soundtrack from iTunes last night ... easily three or four really great songs on there, definitely worth the $10 ... Did this receive a nom for Best Foreign Film? I suppose I could drag my lazy ass to Google to find out ...

Steve-O said...

Yeah, I'm a complete fanboi now. I bought the soundtrack this morning.

Anton Seim said...

Once may be my favorite film ever. I scream the soundtrack in my car when I'm driving around, grid-locked in the not-Dublin DFW metroplex.