Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Best of 2006


So shoot me. I was laid out with the whatever-has-been-going around hacking and coughing for the past week and I didn’t get around to posting my top albums and songs for 2006.

My problem with putting together these lists is this: half the stuff I want to put on the list is actually from 2005. And a lot of stuff is from 1995. Or 1985. I’m just running that far behind. And then there’s the stuff I never even get around to.

Then there was the stuff I was disappointed in: like the Yo La Tengo and Medeski, Martin and Wood. But I won’t dwell on that.

Here are my lists. But to bottomline it for you: It’s all about Neko.

My Top 10 Songs
1. Neko Case – “Hold On, Hold On”
2. Gnarls Barkley – “Crazy”
3. Cat Power – “The Greatest”
4. Broken Social Scene – “Superconnected”
5. Badly Drawn Boy – “Born in the UK”
6. Tom Waits – “Nirvana”
7. Camera Obscura – “Lloyd, I’m Ready To Be Heartbroken”
8. The Decemberists – “O Valencia!”
9. Rhett Miller – “The Believer”
10. Asobi Seksu – “New Years”

My Top 5 Albums
1. Neko CaseFox Confessor Brings The Flood
2. Badly Drawn BoyBorn in the UK
3. Tom WaitsOrphans
4. Broken Social SceneBroken Social Scene
5. Rhett MillerThe Believer

10 Albums I Wish I Had Listened To
Stuff I’ve heard bits of and liked but didn’t get a listen in ’06:
1. Bobby Bare Jr. The Longest Meow
2. MidlakeTrials of Van Occupanther
3. Band of HorsesEverything All the Time
4. Bob DylanModern Times
5. Gnarls BarkleySt. Elsewhere
6. The Black AngelsPassover
7. BeckThe Information
8. MewAnd the glass handed kites
9. M. WardPost War
10. Josh RitterThe Animal Years

No comments: